EPIC 2020 will be a virtual camp ONLY!
EPIC offers the opportunity for campers to experience residential life and college culture. Campers are introduced to the resources, classrooms, and laboratories at California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo. They will have access to university services, including engineering labs, recreation center, and dinning centers. Living on campus allows for campers to meet and socialize with other like-minded individuals who share their enthusiasm for engineering.
Campers are required to live on campus for the duration of the program. All sessions are residential programs only. Living on campus allows campers to form lasting friendships with other campers and their engineering counselors. If there is a medical reason in which staying on campus is not a possibility, please let EPIC know.
All students will be assigned to a redbrick dorm. The dorm building has three floors; each floor has two wings separated by a central sitting room. Campers will be assigned to gender-specific wings. EPIC counselors will be chaperoning students and staying in the dorms with a 1:10 ratio (1:8 ratio for campers under 14).Campers will be placed in a double-occupancy or a triple-occupancy room.
Gender Inclusive Option
California Polytechnic State University strives to make campus housing for all programs a welcoming and safe space for all residents, and offers gender-inclusive housing. It is a program that broadens a person's choices and helps ensure living arrangements that are welcoming and inclusive for all members of our community.
Gender-inclusive housing may be of interest to:
- Members of the LGBTQ, gender and sexual diversity and ally communities
- Students who are exploring their gender identity
- Students who do not wish to identify themselves by gender
- Students who would be comfortable with a roommate of a different gender identity
What to Bring
Linens (sheets, blankets and pillow case) and a pillow will be provided. Students are welcome (and encouraged) to bring their own towel (towels are small), sheets, blankets & pillow if they prefer.
Please be sure to pack the following items along with your clothes. See the EPIC Dress Code below for specifications on appropriate camp clothing.
- Closed-toed shoes
- Sneakers for hiking
- Socks for bowling
- Long pants (some labs require long pants)
- Sweatshirt or light jacket for night activities (it gets cold at night in SLO)
- Bathing Suit (please see dress code) and Beach Towel (We will not be going to the pool since it is under construction. However, we may be doing some water games.)
- Toiletries: shampoo, conditioner, soap, face wash, toothbrush, toothpaste, etc.
- Shower Shoes
- Snacks (Rooms have refrigerators in them and all items must fit in the mini fridge. Keep in mind you will be sharing the room with at least one more camper.)
- Phones are allowed but may not be used during camp activities.
- Spending money for snacks, Starbucks, arcade, and University Bookstore.
- Ear plugs
- Small fan for dorm
- Flashlight for night hike
EPIC Dress Code
All apparel should promote a positive learning environment and should not be distracting in any way. Clothing should cover cleavage, midriff, chest, and buttocks; undergarments should be covered and not visible. Attire that is see-through, strapless, or backless is prohibited. Shorts/skirts must extend to the end of the fingertips and pants should not sag. Apparel that depicts illegal substances, profanity, or other offensive language is forbidden. Students will be asked to change clothes if what they are wearing is inappropriate. Swimsuits must be modest.
What Not to Bring
Please do not bring computers, tablets, or valuables. EPIC and Cal Poly are not responsible for lost or stolen items.
Campers are served three meals a day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) in addition to two snacks. Meals are catered from University dinning services and off campus vendors. Vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options are available at every meal. Other reasonable accommodations may be made for other special dietary needs that are reported to EPIC.
A variety of evening activities are planned daily. Activities range from hikes, bowling, movie night, talent show, scavenger hunt, and team sports (basketball, volleyball, and baseball).
Staff and Safety
All EPIC staff go through extensive training and are CPR/First Aid certified. EPIC rules and regulations are put in place to ensure each camper is safe at all times. Please refer to the Rules and Regulations (PDF) for more information. These rules apply to all campers regardless of their age or "freedom" allowed at home.
Please refer to South Mountain Residence Halls for additional information.