Dear Counselors and Teachers,
Cal Poly is pleased to present the 11th annual EPIC — Engineering Possibilities in College — an enriching and fun summer camp for students currently in grades 6-11th. At EPIC, campers explore the world of engineering in hands-on labs at Cal Poly. This year’s program offers four residential sessions to maximize the campers’ weeklong university experience.
Students currently in grades 6-11 are eligible to apply for the EPIC 2017 summer camp. Camp dates are:
July 9-14: Session 1 — Middle School Day Camp & Residential Program Option (grades 6-8)
July 16-21: Session 2 — High School Residential Program (grades 9-11)
July 23-28: Session 3 — High School Residential Program (grades 9-11)
July 30-August 4: Session 4 — High School Residential Program (grades 9-11)
I need YOUR help in promoting this important outreach program!
EPIC strives to interest ALL students in engineering, but especially those who are low-income, female, first-generation-college-bound, and/or under-represented multicultural students. Ideal candidates have good grades and abilities in math and science, with little or no exposure to engineering. Encouragement from you may spark their interest in EPIC summer camp and ultimately inspire their choosing engineering as a career path.
Please consider reading the attached announcement to your students and showing the videos at these links:
- https://youtu.be/vdTUsIC2sAw (three minutes)
Important details to emphasize:
- Scholarships are available for students who need full or partial financial assistance to participate.
- High school sessions are residential only, with campers staying in campus dorms for a complete university experience. Activities are scheduled from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
- Middle school students may attend day camp or choose a residential option.
For San Luis Obispo County and northern Santa Barbara County schools only:
- EPIC will provide a daily bus from Santa Maria and Arroyo Grande for Session 1 Day Camp.
- A north county bus is not offered at this time, but if we have at least 10 students, we will add a bus. If we are unable to add a bus, we will connect parents together for carpooling opportunities.
- For the residential camps, parents are asked to bring their students on Sunday and pick them up on Friday.
- If a camper needs a ride home on Friday, they may take the bus with drop off at Allan Hancock College, Santa Maria, CA.
Please visit our website at epic.calpoly.edu for more information.
Thank you for your support!
EPIC Program Director
ANNOUNCEMENT – CAN BE READ ALOUD TO CLASSES
Applications are now being accepted for Cal Poly’s EPIC 2017 Engineering Summer Camp!
If you’re a problem solver and interested in designing and building things, you should apply for EPIC!
At EPIC summer camp you’ll design, build and test your own engineering project. You’ll hear about real-world projects from engineering pros. And you’ll experience life on a university campus and make new friends who share your interests.
Applications are due by April 15th for the camp, which is held in July and early August. Go to epic.calpoly.edu to apply.
EPIC 2017 offers four week-long summer camp sessions for students in grades 6-11th. Please choose a session based on your current grade.
- Session 1 Day Camp for grades 6-8 will be held July 9- 14.
- Session 1 Residential option for grades 6-8, set for July 9 - 14.
- Session 2 Residential program for grades 9-11, is set for July 16 - 21.
- Session 3 Residential program for grades 9-11, is set for July 23 - 28.
- Session 4 Residential program for grades 9-11, is set for July 30 - August 4.
Sessions 2, 3, and 4 are residential programs only, meaning that all high school students will stay in the campus dorms. This will give you an around-the-clock, week-long university experience! Middle school students can also choose to stay on campus or participate in the day camp.
Check-in time for all residential programs is 3:30 p.m. on Sunday, with camp in session from 5 p.m. Sunday to 4:30 p.m. Friday. The Day Camp will be held from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
Tuition for the residential programs is $1,620. The Day Camp for middle school students is $620.
Scholarships are available, offering full and partial financial assistance with the tuition, so EPIC urges all students to apply!
We hope to see you at EPIC!
Your EPIC Staff